.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

IntTech

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

MiniStack Review2

Last month I reviewed my recently built MiniStack. Having lived with it for a month, I have further comments to make. First, I do like it. It matches the Mac Mini well. Even thought the ministack is a plastic case, it looks enough like aluminum to more than hold its own visually under the Mac Mini.

However there lies the one problem. I found that the mini generates enough heat that the MiniStack's fan would cut on to cool it off even when the hard drive wasn't spinning. It took me a while to figure that out, but eventually I did when I heard the fan running and decided to unmount the drive and cut it off so it could cool down. When I ejected it, I heard the drive spin up!


What I do now is set the MiniStack on top of the Mac Mini with some extra rubber feet I picked up at the hardware store to give more space for cooling between the two devices. Since the aluminum heat sink is on the bottom of the MiniStack I think the extra space is very important. The extra feet (really cabinet bumpers) can be seen in the image below.

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Google